Thursday, November 16, 2006

Something to wet your interest...


I'm so excited I'm about to wet myself. I just received an email announcing the new generation of Water Blessing Labels from the folks at The Spirit of Water. I blogged about these products last month, and I'm thrilled that the product line continues to evolve. While the first labels were inspired by the movie, What The Bleep Do We Know, these new ones owe their existence to the glorified infomercial The Secret. The Secret, as you may know, is all the rage in enlightened circles; it has even hit the mainstream now that Larry King has run his own two-part infomercial, "Beyond Positive Thinking," to promote the movie's "stars" (as well as some other spiritual mercenaries from What The Bleep).*

Anyway, these new "Law Of Attraction" Water Blessing Labels are now on sale for a special "pre-release" price of $8.00 a sheet (regular price $9.95). They're static-cling and reusable, and, like their predecessors, they are "consciously created." Included in the new line are such powerful, original and awe-inspiring phrases as, "Reach for your dreams," "Follow your bliss," "Assume an attitude of gratitude," and "Be here now." All you do is stick 'em on your water, put the water in you, and be prepared for lots of good stuff to come your way. Or at least be prepared to reach for your dreams, be here now, etc. What could be easier?

PS. Just in case you don’t feel like following the link to my previous water blog, I suppose I’d better give a nutshell (emphasis on the first syllable?) explanation of the Water/Law Of Attraction connection. This entire concept is based on the work of Japanese metaphysician Dr. Masaru Emoto, who has produced a small stack of books about the hidden messages in water, the secret life of water, the hidden agendas of water, etc. According to Dr. Emoto and his legions of water-crazy minions, H2O is a near-magical substance, or at least a conscious one that is responsive to the emotions and thoughts of those around it. Dr. Emoto has proven this with scientific experimentation and photographs. If you yell or cuss at water, it will behave badly. If you sweet-talk it, it will respond accordingly. And since we humans are three-quarters water, as is our blessed planet, it is of vital importance that we bless all of the water around and in us. There are many ways to do this, but one of the most effective is to apply clear, static-cling labels to the water we drink or bathe in. The water will then absorb those nice words and transfer the magic to us.

As I said, what could be easier?

* If you're interested, here's a link to a transcript of Part 1 of Larry King's "Beyond Positive Thinking" infomercial, which originally aired on Thursday, Nov. 2, 2006.

4 comments:

RevRon's Rants said...

Okay... I applied the labels, and drank the water right before bed, and guess what? I manifested great bladder function; so great that I had to get up twice in the middle of the night and make a fluid affirmation. Because of this, a great insight came to me... that I shouldn't drink so much *&%*%#@ water before bed!

Pee Here Now!!!

Cosmic Connie said...

But what a valuable lesson you learned, Rev Ron! After just one experience you learned a truth that it takes some people years to absorb (so to speak).

After studying all of the scientific evidence, I think there may be something to the miracle of water/law of attraction connection. Furthermore, I think that you, Rev Ron, were destined to explore these issues.

Think of it: the leading light in the Attractive Water movement is named Dr. Emoto.

And *you* ride a MotoGuzzi.

Coincidence? There ARE no coincidences...

Anonymous said...

Do you think this is just another way to get more money out of the "law of attraction" concept. How much weight do you put in the “law of attraction” idea? I actually think there is merit to the “seek and you will find” concept, when it is applied to the right areas, but the law of attraction ... well, I think that is a slightly different take on the concept because it doesn't involve taking any action, but involves developing within with the idea that “that which you seek” will manifest or be given to you because it is then attracted to you.

Cosmic Connie said...

Thank you for your comment, Case. You hit it right on the head; Law of Attraction has become the newest self-help trend and big moneymaker, thanks in large part to "The Secret," as well as a few books on the subject. Now all sorts of spiritual/new-age/self-help capitalists are coming out of the woodwork to milk the concept dry till the next cash cow comes along.

I do think that in many ways we "attract" good or bad things in our lives -- certainly by our actions, and even, it could be argued, by our thoughts (which, if nothing else, often lead to actions). But Law of Attraction as it is being exploited by today's top hustledorks -- e.g., many of those on Larry King's two-part infomercial -- goes further than that. It goes beyond positive thinking, indeed, and into the realm of magical thinking.

I've used this metaphor before (I think on Steve's blog)...but to the Law of Attraction capitalists, the Universe is like an obsequious waiter, hovering over each one of us, just waiting to respond to every one of our thoughts. I know I am oversimplifying here, but not by much.

I'm not saying that these folks have not put the Law of Attraction to work for themselves, but mainly they have become rich by relentless, aggressive, and even obnoxious self-promoting. Their shtick is generally some variation on the "you, too, can have what I have" concept. So their starry-eyed followers just rake out more of their hard-earned bucks for the next book, DVD, workshop, etc. The only guaranteed result is that the guru is that much closer to his/her next new luxury sports car or dream home on Maui.

And I don't mind saying that it really galls me to see folks such as Larry King throwing out not just crumbs, but whole loaves of bread, to feed the already bloated egos of these gurus. Oops, I guess I'm getting a little carried away with my metaphors...

Thanks again for writing.