Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Happy Anniversary, Hawai’i!

Aloha, Dear Ones! I know that Hawai’ian Week on Whirled Musings has passed, but I just couldn’t let this day go by without acknowledging the 48th anniversary of the day that the Aloha Territory officially became the Aloha State. Although Hawai’i Statehood Day is traditionally observed on the third Thursday of August, which this year fell on August 17, the actual anniversary is August 21, 1959. (I realize that as this post goes to publication this day is almost over – and that, in fact, for those of you in the Other Hemisphere, it’s already August 22, so you’re past Hawai’ian Statehood Day, but work with me, okay?)

If you want a little bit of historical perspective about Hawai’i and don’t feel like reading James Michener’s novel Hawaii (or watching the movie), click here.

Or perhaps you’d rather skip the history but are nonetheless feeling in a Hawai’ian sort of mood. You could sit around and wait for Warner Brothers to finally release the old Hawaiian Eye episodes on DVD (1959 was the Year of Hawai’i in more ways than one). But who knows when WB will finally get around to releasing this gem? Not to worry; there are plenty of things you can do to celebrate the admission of the 50th state in the Union.

For example, why not mix one of those tropical fruity drinks and practice your Boto’o’popopopo cleaning? By the way, the wise Hawai’ian healer who taught this method to me, Dr. Ihavascama Fer Yew, recently told me to tell y’all that for the cleaning to really work, you need to clean out all of your bank accounts and investment accounts and send the proceeds to me. But if you don’t feel like doing that – in other words, if you’ve not quite reached that stage of advanced suckerdom spiritual evolution – that's okay. Sure, I'm a bit disappointed in you, but let me clean on it for a moment... You love me. You thank me. You're sorry. I forgive you.

There. I'm all better. So go ahead and pour yourself that fruity drink. Then click here for a pretty Hawai’ian tune, and go back and relive some of the festive Hawai’ian moments we’ve shared on Whirled Musings over the past several weeks.

And if you really want to get yourself into an Aloha State of mind, pop on over to the blog of one of Maui’s treasures, Dreaming-Bear Kanaan – a man much in love with himself, a libertine disguised as poet, mystic, SHAM-an and fake Native American. D-B seems to be an absolute magnet for impressionable and/or desperate women (and even a faintly disturbed man or two), judging from some of the responses to his blog entries. (While you’re visiting, be sure to take a look at the Google ads on the right-hand side of the blog pages.)

If you just can’t get enough Dreaming-Bear, he will be doing another of his weekly "Teleseminar Communions" on Wednesday, August 22, at 9pm EST / 6pm PST / 3pm Hawaii Standard Time. Never mind that we’re on Daylight Savings Time right now. Here’s a link to last week’s Telecommunion. (Be forewarned: it’s pretty SNAG-gy and sappy. And the host of the program is one of those…er…impressionable-sounding women.)

But if you really, really want to get in a Hawai’ian mood, sign up for the great Holistic Hawai’i Expo that’s coming September 8 & 9. Two of the featured speakers will be Hank Wesselman, Ph.D. and Jill Kuykendall, RPT, who are on a mission to "create transpersonal bridges to facilitate the emergence of a new subculture in the Western world." Wesselman wrote a book that I actually read a few years ago, Spiritwalker. It’s a book in the inspired-hallucinations genre, much like the works of Carlos Castaneda. I’m thinking maybe I need to develop an inspired hallucination. Some deeply wise indigenous person from the remote past or the far future needs to begin visiting me in my dreams. And then I need to discover that I am not in fact dreaming, but that the experiences are very real. The deeply wise one needs to reveal things to me that have never been revealed to another human, or have been revealed, but the other humans were too stupid or stubborn to listen. And then I need to write some books about my experiences and get them published by Hay House...

But back to the Holistic Hawai’i Expo, where Hank and Jill will be speaking about "The Soul Cluster and the Mystical Nature of the Self." Another couple, Doug Hackett and Trish Regan, will expound upon "Sacred Partnership & Planetary Acceleration." Doug and Trish run dolphin retreats in Hawai’i. (I guess the poor dolphins have to have some place to get away from all of those painfully affluent, conspicuously enlightened folks who are so obsessed with our ocean brethren.) Anyway, the Holistic Hawai’i Expo is only a few weeks away, so you’d better sign up now.

Meanwhile, make the most of these final hours of Statehood Day. Do something Aloha-ish. Dare something blogworthy. And don't forget to clean, clean, clean. My cats' litter boxes are still waiting...

PS ~ Hurricane Dean continues to weaken, due no doubt to the diligent efforts of Phoenix The Spirit Diva and her friends. Well, he told us he was just a big lovable hunk of wind.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dang it Connie. I guess I am impressionable and desperate because my panties got a little moist reading Dreaming Bear's blog.

He probably is a charlatan, but he sure knows how to cater to the ladies. (or at least us desperate and impressionable ones). I obviously need to get out more.

Candycoop said...

Connie--First Time/Long Time...
I just had to comment, Hawaii doesn't do Daylight Savings Time. They are on Standard time year round. I thought you would have known that since you have such a strong connection to the mystical/spiritual Hawaii. But as we all know, time is irrelevant in the mystical/spiritual realm so you can't be expected to have intuited that aspect of Hawaii. BTW, Dreaming Bear is very mystical/spiritual in a creeping tingling down your spine, raising the hair on the back of your neck kind of way, isn't he? Keep up the good work. Love your stuff.

Cosmic Connie said...

LOL, Anon. Yes, D-B does seem to know how to appeal to the ladies. Maybe there is just something wrong with me because I seem to be immune to his charms. :-)

Cosmic Connie said...

Thanks for the comments, Candy, and for the info about Hawaii Time. It occurred to me later after I'd published my post that I remembered reading that the Aloha State doesn't do Daylight Time. But, as usual, I was too lazy to look it up and go back and make a correction. But I appreciate the info.

As for your comments about that "creeping tingling" effect... I agree completely!

Sven Eick said...

Hi Connie,

I read your CSI hit piece on the Secret - well done, you sum it up well. I'm a psych honours student who was recently introduced to the concept by a manic-depressive friend, an experience that led me to think that the Secret is probably quite dangerous for people prone to psychotic breaks. I then saw Oprah touting it on TV with the help of two Jedi knight looking individuals and the emphasis on 'plenty' bothered me a great deal. As a decade long student of Eastern philosophy I found myself wondering whether the Secret didn't just feed into a culture of greed. Many people seem to have a problem integrating silence, emptiness, space, loss and deprivation into an understanding of how best to live life and incorporate the diversity of experiences it offers into meaninful development, and this just seems to add to that. The Secretons as you call them, seem to miss the fact that lack, and deprivation are sometimes the greatest teachers in life and help us grow and learn. This belief that you you should have everything you want sounds a bit strange, particularly in the light of the obviously detrimental effects that a culture of plenty is having on the planet (amongst many other factors of course). I remember a quote that says 'you may have what you want, but you may not want what you want' - it never made sense until I found out about the Secret. Good piece of debunking :)

Cosmic Connie said...

Thank you for your thoughtful comments, Sven. I'm glad you enjoyed the CSI piece.

The Secret does very much play into the culture of greed, however unintentional it may have been (and I realize that by suggesting it might have been unintentional, I am really giving the producers the benefit of the doubt).

Ostensibly, one of the messages in The Secret is that we should cultivate gratitude for what we have. Yet I feel that The Secret -- or, more accurately, many of its hustledork "stars" -- strive to breed discontent: a longing for more, more, more. They, of course, hold the key to that "something more," and they'll be glad to sell it to anyone who can pay.

I agree with you that we can learn valuable lessons from lack, loss, and deprivation, though I do not romanticize any of these things, as some Secretrons have accused "naysayers" of doing. Nor do I think money is evil or dirty. Yet Secret apologists often accuse their critics of promoting the idea that money is evil, and that all wealthy or successful people are evil as well. Not true!

I also agree with you that The Secret is not entirely harmless, and can in fact be dangerous for some folks with mental or emotional problems. That does not mean I think it should be banned or censored, just that people should be aware that some ideas in The Secret are not necessarily helpful for everyone, and can be harmful for some.

Anonymous said...

Hi Connie,
the majority of the information you have about the "back end" goings on of The Secret are accurate.

Whether one believes in The Law of Atraction or not is irrelevant here.
What you point so clearly is the lack of integrity of the Producer and the CEO...They have slimed their way out of any agreements based on a myriad of deceitful lies. ...all about their greed and ego.
Shoot the messengers( Bob and Rhonda)here and not the message.

Dan and Drew were done over BIG TIME by two slippery customers. They operated in good faith and delivered the goods for Rhonda.

The most you could accuse Drew and Dan of, is that they trusted that these people would operate from the principles they espoused.

The sad thing about all this is that Bob and Rhonda sit with their millions of dollars and are willing to pay lawyers potentially hundreds of thousands of dollars to ward off legitimate claims by Drew and Dan.... rather than give them what they deserve and owe them.
They forgot what they preach.... The universe is abundant, and to express gratitude.
So Rhonda and Bob,if your universe is so abundant then give some over to they key people who created your wealth stream with Gratitude.

This is again an example of screwing the little guys with wealth and power.

PS: Believe me Connie the source of my information is closer than a fly on the wall.

Cosmic Connie said...

Thank you for the "buzz," fly on the wall. I'm going to make sure your comment gets tacked on to the "Dirty Little Secrets" post too, so more people will see it.

Anonymous said...

Connie, thankyou so much for taking time out of your dull life to write a piece about me. How awsome that someone would want to write about me!! And to put me between Rhonda and Joe.. wow. These people are world class and awsome people so I feel so honoured!!
However when you write quotes from peoples blogs etc you really should write the truth. Abuse is not a subject to joke or laugh about. But then you know that don't you.
Sorry your life has never led you to where you need to be and sorry that you use jokes to cover how you feel. Maybe in your next life time you will be wealthy and not where your at now. Tis a sad waste of your life poor lamb!!

Cosmic Connie said...

Thank you for your deep insights about my life, Anon. I wish I knew who you were, though, so I could do more justice to your comment. If you are commenting on this post in particular, I should remind you that I mentioned several people in the post. So I don't know which one you might be.

OTOH, I realize that you could be commenting on another post or several other posts and are just using this one because it is currently the last one that appears on the main page. I'm thinking this is the case, because you wrote, "And to put me between Rhonda and Joe...wow." As it happens, I didn't mention Rhonda OR Joe this post.

Nor did I mention abuse, for that matter. (And I don't recall ever making any jokes about REAL abuse. Further, despite anything you might be implying, I am not a survivor of any type of abuse other than the self-induced abuse of excessive drinking, once upon a time.)

Tell you what I'm going to do. In order to ensure that as many people as possible have a chance to experience your wisdom, and to give you a chance to reveal your true identity, I am going to devote an entire post to your comment.

And then, perhaps, the world will come to believe that my life and this blog are not a total waste after all.