Thursday, November 22, 2007

Even snarks celebrate Thanksgiving

Good gosh, is it time for another Thanksgiving post already?* Seems like I just wrote one of those things a year or so ago.


Although I snipe and snark a lot on this blog, there is, believe it or not, at least one point on which I am pretty much in agreement with the conspicuously enlightened, the aggressively motivated, and the tyrannically positive. And that point has to do with the power of gratitude. As you may very well be aware, there is even research that indicates being grateful may be good for you in more ways than you might think. I know, I know, it's an appealing concept, and it sells books. Even worse, the gratitude industry is a whole new area to be exploited by New-Wage hustlers. But, as Canadian songwriter/singer/poet/novelist Leonard Cohen wrote, "That don't make it junk" (yes, I know, he wrote that in a totally different context than what I'm talking about, but I thought this blog was a bit overdue for a quotation from LC).

I'm not going to bore y'all with my own gratitude list; I'll just say that once again Ron is at the top of that list. I'm also grateful for my family and friends – in short, all of the people in my life, including the four-legged ones.

Other than that, I'm not going to go on and on about gratitude, except to say that I am grateful for other bloggers who, over the past week or so, have provided some entertaining and informative links. I now gladly pass those links on to you. You may have already seen these, but if not, click away.

The first one comes from Amy, commenting on Lana Helmuth-Walker's blog. This is a link to a video that skewers The Secret. It's one of the funnier videos I've seen.

The second link, provided by Steve Salerno on his SHAMblog, is a bit more serious. It's a McGill University student's look at The Secret and self-help culture. (By the way, Leonard Cohen attended McGill University. Just thought some of y'all might want to know.)

And finally there is this link, which was on Blair Warren's blog yesterday. It's a link to a
blog post about happiness, which seems relevant somehow to my own post today.

Enough blogging already. I'm off to spend some time with my family, and then Ron and I are heading out to his daughter's place, where there will be plenty of great food and great friends – including, of course, some four-legged pals. I hope all of y'all who celebrate the holiday have a good one!

PS ~ And I will deliver on my promise to inflict "Beast meets West, Part 2" on y'all. Just not today.
PPS ~ And...here's a bonus link I'd meant to add earlier but forgot to: fashion and makeup tips for women, from a very funny (if somewhat crude) guy's point of view. It has nothing to do with Thanksgiving, but...hey, I thought it was funny. (Warning: it is a bit R-rated...but then again, this blog is supposedly NC-17.) So enough warning. Here it is. (I have to say, though, that I do not agree with the writer's assessment of bitchiness. I think being a bitch is a GOOD thing.)

*I realize that it's not Thanksgiving for all of y'all who are reading this, but it is for me, and, after all, this is my Whirled.

2 comments:

RevRon's Rants said...

She may be an incorrigible punster and a snarky blogger, but she damn sure ain't no turkey! And you should see what she looks like without the feathers... WOOO HOOO! (Sorry... you'll just have to imagine!) :-)

I'm really thankful for a woman who sees through my (and most other people's) BS, and loves me in spite of it.

Cosmic Connie said...

And I'm really grateful for a man who can see past my snarking -- but then again, maybe it's not that difficult, seeing as how I am, after all, profoundly shallow. :-)

Thanks, Ron!