Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Whirled Musings is four today!*

Four years ago today, inspired largely by having participated in Steve Salerno's SHAMblog, I decided to create a Whirled of my own in the blogosphere. And so it was that I sat down and typed out a tentative blog post. And on the second day, I created a less tentative post. And then I was off and snarking.

It has been a fun four years, and I'm shooting for a few more.

To celebrate this momentous anniversary, the Universe has blessed the oceans of my Whirled with more snark chum than all of us together could possibly consume in one sitting, so I'll just share a couple of tasty bits with you here before I go off to celebrate my Fourth Blogaversary (actually, to concentrate on my real work for a while...but I can celebrate for a few moments, anyway!).

To begin with, Mr. Fire published a blog post today about the five biggest Law of Attraction mistakes. He wrote:

Truth is, there are many mistakes when it comes to using the Law of Attraction. It’s usually because most people don’t have a complete understanding of it. They saw the movie The Secret and thought they got it, when all they got was an introduction to it.

Oh, dear. Mr. Fire has apparently forgotten that when The Secret first came out, it was widely promoted, on the official site and elsewhere, as containing the ultimate answer and having all of the information you need to get whatever you want. Of course we couldn't realistically have expected that claim to last, not when there were so many derivative products and frauducts to be sold.

So what's the biggest Law of Attraction mistake a body can make? As might be expected, Mr. Fire did not say, "Believing in that whole Secret scam in the first place." According to Joe, Mistake Number 1 is believing that all you have to do is imagine what you want, and you'll get it. Not so, says Mr. Fire. Here's the truth:

Imagining what you want is a great way to program your unconscious but it’s only a first step. You still have work to do. That’s where the Law of Right Action comes into play. Do something to assist the attraction of what you want. Rhonda Byrne created the movie The Secret with more than the Law of Attraction;** she didn’t just sit and dream about it. She took action.*** (She’s taken more action recently, as her next book, The Power, will be out in August.****)

This from the man who, in The Secret, famously likened the Universe to a mail order catalog:

“This is really fun. It’s like having the Universe as your catalog. You flip through it and say, ‘I’d like to have this experience and I’d like to have that product and I’d like to have a person like that. It’s your placing your order with the Universe. It’s really that easy.”

And he even put that snippet on his own video blog, so he must have been seriously promoting that point of view.

LOA Mistake Number 2, according to Joe, is using the Law of Attraction to try to attract a specific person. Don't do it, warns Mr. Fire, explaining, "Trying to attract a specific person is a violation of free will." This is from the guy who also sells products that claim to teach you how to put all of your prospects into a "buying trance" so they will do your bidding (he even wrote a book about it). I guess it's okay to violate someone's free will when you have a frauduct to sell.

I found Mr. Fire's choice for Mistake Number 3 – focusing solely on the material – interesting as well:

Focusing on the material, in attracting new cars [and here he provides a link to his ubiquitous Attract A New Car gimmick] and more cash, is fine, as long as you know it’s a temp high and a mask for the real juice of life: the Divine. Don’t focus on the car, but on the feeling behind the car. That is Divine.

Lesson assimilated, Mr. Fire. Maybe you'll learn it one day yourself. Meanwhile, it's hard not to notice how desperately many of the New-Wage hustledorks seem to need those new cars and more cash and so on in order to capture that "juice of life." And it's hard to overlook the whole vision-board thing that has been so popular with LOA true believers. Seems that little exercise is all about the material, not to mention being really kind of juvenile. Or, as Salty Droid put it recently on his blog:

...because poster boards with magazine cut-outs aren’t just for 6th grade science projects and serial killers anymore {yes they are!! f--k sake …}.

So enough about that. The really, really BIG piece of snark chum is that NBC has chosen Whirled Musings' birthday to debut yet another "reality" show. This one is from the world's all-time most successful hustledork, Tony Robbins. Even TV Guide is rolling its eyes:

Cheers & Jeers: Tony Robbins? Gimme a Break!

Jeers to NBC for turning over an hour of primetime to a glorified infomercial.

The Peacock has flirted with the equivalent of self-help ads (The Biggest Loser, Losing It With Jillian), but the net has truly crossed the line with Breakthrough with Tony Robbins, an hourlong series debuting July 27 at 8/7c. That's right, "author, strategist and coach" Robbins—who was mocked as a charlatan nearly 20 years ago on The Ben Stiller Show ("I hypnotize you with my teeth, and you pay me money!")—is now a network-TV star.

In the series' premiere, Robbins helps Ron and Marie Stegner back from the brink of bankruptcy and divorce by presenting them with "challenges" like flying a Russian MIG fighter ("I don't know any other housewife doing a flip in a jet," says Marie) and living on L.A.'s skid row for a week. Of course, viewers can't perform these kinds of stunts, but they might buy Robbins' books, DVDs or CDs to gobble up more of his banalities ("Own Your Breakthrough!"). As Marie puts it when she's sleeping on the street (with a camera crew in tow, natch), "This is reality." No, this is reality TV—there's a big difference.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

That's it for now. I promise you I'm continuing to sort through the swirling chum and will serve up some more very soon. Meanwhile I want to thank every one of you – even those of you who don't like me so much – for your part in making this blog what it is. Here's to at least four more fun-filled years.

* I know it's my Blogaversary and all, but really, you don't have to get me a gift. But if you insist... the "Donate" button is conveniently located up there at the top of the page.
** That's right, Mr. Fire! Rhonda didn't just use LOA to create The Secret.
She used the partially unpaid labor of creative and talented people as well.
*** Rhonda took action, all right: legal action, mostly, against the people who had actually done the real creative and marketing work and just wanted their fair share of what she'd promised them.
**** Well, after all, she does have those legal bills to pay.

27 comments:

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY COSMIC CONNIE, and whodathought that you didnt get what you needed in THE SECRET movie. Now most of the losers who appeared in it are being taken to court, accused of deceiving people etc. etc. Whodathought?

Dave said...

Well, Happy Blogaversary Connie, and may the Universal Mine grant you many more.

Joe Kersey said...

Happy Whirled Day, CosCon!

I just read Vitale's latest blog entry, and it was frankly one of his more transparent pieces (though I doubt his fawning followers will get it). I submitted a comment, but given his history of rejecting critical remarks, I thought I'd send it to you, too. Here it is:

IMO, the ability to seek the "feeling behind the car" without having to actually buy the car(s) is a good indication of a state of awakening. Rationalizing the supposed importance of acquiring a constant stream of material items as a tool of the spiritual quest is just that: rationalization.

Furthermore, the dismissal of challenges to one's ideas, bolstered by the implication that the critic "just doesn't get it" is a good example of the "spiritual ego" you describe. Most critics don't categorize the material as being bad, but recognize that excessive emphasis of the importance of possessions (and accolades) is a sign of a deeply wounded ego seeking validation.

Blessings

hhh said...

Happy Birthday, now where's my piece of cake?

Cosmic Connie said...

Thanks for the good wishes, Anon July 27. You wrote: "Now most of the losers who appeared in [The Secret] are being taken to court, accused of deceiving people etc. etc. Whodathought?"

I know. It comes as such a profound shock.

No, what REALLY comes as a shock is that many of the stars of The Secret -- along with their colleagues who weren't in The Secret but who have made it big in the selfish-help/New-Wage/McSpirituality industry -- still envision themselves as an elite group of folks who are "transforming" the planet.

Witness: http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2010/07/an-inspirational-week/

Truly gag-inducing and eye-rolling. I may have to blog about that too.

Cosmic Connie said...

Thank you for the Blogaversary wishes, Dave. And the Universal Mine is so rich right now that I scarcely know which way to turn. :-)

Cosmic Connie said...

Thanks for the Whirled Day wishes, Joe Kersey. I love your comment to Joe's blog. It seems to me that in recent months he actually *has* published more critical remarks, but I don't think I'll be too surprised if this particular one from you gets rejected.

Cosmic Connie said...

HHH, thank you for the BD wishes. I'm afraid we didn't bake a cake for the occasion. But there are brownies.

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday Whirled Musings & CC -)

I baked a cake for you -) I also have some fine french champagne, but I'm saving for the most anticipated day when that jury returns a "guilty" verdict at James Ray's trial.

From ABalanceofhope (still can't get LJ to login)

Cosmic Connie said...

Thanks, Abalance! I hope the cake was great. And I'll join you in that future toast, though I'll be drinking fine American nonalcoholic "champagne" (Sutter Fre Brut is actually pretty good).

Anonymous said...

Joe"Faust" Vitale, a man in search of a soul.
Does anyone know where Mephistopheles is hiding?

hhh said...

It's a good job you didn't bake a cake Connie because my attitude to your birthday cake would be this...

Snarf snarf snarf munch gulp slurp burp, here, I saved you a piece, do you really want it?

Anonymous said...

Connie, slightly off topic, do you think it's true that Schwarzenegger is going to get the nod to be president at Bohemian Grove this year?
I think that would be a grand idea, seeing as he will have got sound advice on how to deal with economic depression from his old man.

Anonymous said...

On the other hand, who cares, Schwarzenegger Schmarzenegger.

Martypants said...

Happy blog-Birthday Connie. I am glad I found you - your work makes me happy.

Cosmic Connie said...

Anon July 31 2:18 AM wrote:

"Does anyone know where Mephistopheles is hiding?"

He has been sighted in Wimberley.

Cosmic Connie said...

HHH, I'd rather have my cake and eat it too.

Cosmic Connie said...

Anon/HHH, re Schwarzenegger: Every mention of the possibility of him as president brings me back to a certain scene in Sylvester Stallone's "Demolition Man."

http://politicalhumor.about.com/b/2003/08/08/president-arnold-schwarzenegger.htm

And for those who are in the dark about Bohemian Grove, it makes the Transformational Leadership Council seem like a Boy Scout meeting.

Somehow the idea of rich, conservative, mostly Christian and all male power brokers cavorting nekkid through the forest, urinating on redwood trees, porking young boys and sometimes each other, and conducting mock human sacrifices makes the TLC seem almost sane by comparison.

http://www.infowars.com/schwarzenegger-to-address-elite-at-bohemian-grove/

http://www.sonomacountyfreepress.com/bohos/bohofact.html

[And pardon the paranoid-conspiracy-theory source, but this one is especially interesting:]

http://www.prisonplanet.com/schwarzenegger-murdoch-give-keynote-speeches-at-the-bohemian-grove.html

Of course it could be argued that at least some of the rituals that go on at Bohemian Grove aren't all that much more bizarre than the more public rituals and customs that are part of Christianity and other organized religions in all of their many forms. Or the rites that are part of any fraternal org or theatrical group or exclusive club. The big difference of course is the involvement of those who hold the fate of the nation and the world in their hands.

PS ~ To my knowledge I am not related to Helmut Schmidt.

Cosmic Connie said...

Martypants said...

"Happy blog-Birthday Connie. I am glad I found you - your work makes me happy."

Thanks, Martypants. I'm enjoying the exchanges we're having on Salty's blog too.

Anonymous said...

Do you think that James Ray might have taken inspiration for his warrior rituals and World Wealth Society from the Bohemian Grove nonsense?
All that frolicking in the woods has a definite new-age tinge.

At the least it gives us a good excuse to view our leaders with contempt and derision.

Cosmic Connie said...

Frolicking nekkid in the woods has a 1960s hippie tinge as well, and an ancient pagan tinge and... well, it goes way back, I'd imagine.

Virtually everything James Ray and most other New-Wage gooroos do is derivative.

And as to your second point: As if we needed another excuse to view our leaders with contempt and derision...

John said...

Belated Happy 4th

Thanks for the update from MrFire. I was beginning to think The Universe had it in for me. What a relief to learn that I have to take action, nay, apply The Law of Right Action.

FWIW, ran across the trailer for The Power:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQpVwf2hl3k

Interesting reviews.


Best Regards,
John

Cosmic Connie said...

Thanks for the good wishes, John.

I watched The Power trailer and of course all of the reviews and comments were for the trailer itself. But a good trailer does not a good book make. With all the advance publicity, though, I'm sure the book will do well and will help line Rhonda's pockets even more.

HhH said...

"The big difference of course is the involvement of those who hold the fate of the nation and the world in their hands. "

That's the thing isn't it Connie, when they have their 'Cremation of Care' ceremony, that's cremation of care about you and I, I think.

What is needed is a 'Cremation of Callousness' ceremony.
Would you be prepared to be High Priestess at such an occasion?
Get to wear some funky robes?

Anonymous said...

'Would you be prepared to be High Priestess at such an occasion?'

I'd like to see that, I'd even provide the raven, vulture or similar totemic bird.

Hhh said...

I don't know about your new business website, BTW, it kind of bamboozles the eye at first sight.

Hhh said...

"What is needed is a 'Cremation of Callousness' ceremony. "

Apparently my bright idea is a bit late, folk are already doing stuff like that in a pagany way, which is also of course the work of the devil, so it will never succeed.

I predict that within 5 years the US will, in fact, have a new ritual and it will be like Guy Fawkes night here but with bankers thrown on the fire instead.