Sunday, July 17, 2011

Arizona in the spotlight: Training Liars Club bound for Tucson, and a call to help stop Death Ray

Oh, good Goddess. July is more than halfway done, and I have yet to publish a new post this month. Once again I've been busy with work, with tending to the comments on existing threads, and with hanging around Salty Droid's blog. So let me begin correcting this month's NPD (new post deficit) right now.

This morning I was thinking about Whirled Musings Day, the upcoming anniversary of my blog, which is July 27. I also remembered that Whirled Musings Day always falls around the same time as the semi-annual meeting of the Transformational Leadership Cartel...I mean...Council, aka the TLC, aka the Training Liars Club (thanks to my pal Duff McDuffee for coming up with that one).

In case you aren't familiar with the TLC as viewed on my Whirled, here are two posts to get you up to speed:

As it happens, the first day of the 2011 TLC summer conference is July 27, the precise day this blog turns five years old. This summer the TLC party will be in Tucson, Arizona.

This will be good news to some who may have been disappointed about the cancellation of Stompernet LIVE 11, that famous confab for IM scammers, as reported on Salty's blog. Despite the apparent demise of Stompernet (they don't frame it as a demise, of course), all is not lost in Huckster Heaven. There's still life in the TLC, a fine group of folks with a similar mission of transforming the planet into a place where hustledorks and hustledorkesses can continue to rake in millions and live in gated communities while nearly everyone else struggles for essentials.

The hype goes on forever, and the party never ends.

Now, I would love to go to the TLC conference but, alas, I am not invited. But maybe you can become a member and get invited. Or perhaps even if you don't get a coveted invitation, you can still find a way to get to the meeting venue and, you know, hang around.

I found some details about the event here, on TLC founder and Chicken Soup entrepreneur Jack Canfield's Web site.

Event Information Category: Private Events
Location: Tucson, AZ
Time: From : Wednesday, 27 July 2011 08:00
Until : Sunday, 31 July 2011 20:00 (UTC -08:00) Pacific Time (US & Canada)

Seats available: Unlimited seats
Event Creator:
AndreaHaefele

As of now there is a Google Map on the event announcement page, pointing to an area that appears to be east of North Country Club Road and north of East Broadway Boulevard in Tucson. Or maybe that's just a generic map of the Tucson area, and the pointer is on an area in the center of town. I imagine that the TLC event planners want to keep any more detailed information top seekrit so they won't get, you know, sign-carrying, pamphlet-distributing protesters at their event. But perhaps those of you who will be in the area around that time can figure it out, if you're interested.

The page I linked to above contains a link to follow if you actually want to be invited to attend the Transformational Leadership Council meeting. Of course you have to be a member in order to attend the exclusive meetings, and for that you have to be invited by a member in good standing. As noted above, however, there's also a link to contact event creator Andrea Haefele. Maybe she can sneak you in through the back door. If you do get invited and you happen to go, be sure to tell everyone hi from Cosmic Connie. Tell them I want to know why the TLC folks have not ever made a public statement about their ex founding member, James Arthur Ray.

And now we come to
the really important part of this post.

Speaking of Death Ray, as you probably know, the trial saga in Yavapai County, Arizona, is on hold. This coming July 25 will be two years since
Colleen Conaway died at the James Ray event in San Diego. That was the day originally scheduled for the sentencing of Ray, who has been convicted of three counts of negligent homicide. But the defense has continued its usual stall tactics, such as filing a motion for a new trial, and the sentencing has now been pushed back to mid-August. (Here is a link to a PDF of the motion for a new trial.) Meanwhile, the Ray camp -- those of them that are left -- have been orchestrating a letter-writing campaign, calling for people who have been "helped" by James Ray to write letters that the defense can give to the judge to help sway his decision.

Earlier this month Salty Droid wrote about it here. Around the same time, LaVaughn also wrote a fine post on her Celestial Reflections blog. In addition, if you're on Facebook you can get updates on Connie Joy's Tragedy In Sedona page.

One focus of LaVaughn's post is a poignant piece written by a former James Ray fan, Jeanne Barkemeijer, who was, to put it mildly, shocked and disillusioned by Ray's boorish behavior and mercenary manner when she met him. Her post about this incident is here, and I urge you to read it if you haven't already.

And then I urge you to do whatever you feel drawn to do to spread the word about James Ray's character, or apparent lack thereof. Join the counter-letter-writing campaign to help ensure justice for Ray's victims. Need suggestions? In a subsequent blog post, Jeanne offers suggestions and contact information.

This is important stuff, folks. And I'm long overdue in adding my call to action about this matter.

I will say, for the record, that I generally remain opposed to handling the problem with more laws and regulations (see my long post about that here). However, I do feel that the selfish-help industry needs closer scrutiny, there should be more transparency, and existing remedies should be enforced.

I certainly believe at this point that James Arthur "Death" Ray should no longer be allowed into any position where he can manipulate people, take their money, and endanger their health or their lives. Whether he ends up in an orange jumpsuit or not, I think he should never be allowed on a stage again, unless it's to scrub it or paint it. I hope the judge makes a decision that the friends and family of James Ray's victims can live with.

That's it for now, Dear Ones; I'll be back later this week with more stuff to help make up for the July deficit.

Now get to your own writing!

7 comments:

Kindredone said...

If deathray does not end up in an orange humpsuit then I suspect all hell will break loose and he'll learn that he will have no choice but to live like a dear in headlights for the term of his remaining life.

I agree with you Connie, the selfish help concentration camp has been functioning in the shadows for far too long. It needs to be scrutinised and transparent. I suspect that NONE of the current group of gurus from wankerville would like that too much because their style is to hide everything that is actually true and operate a very disfunctional sort of existance.

Anonymous said...

You remind me of Nancy Grace.

Cosmic Connie said...

I apologize to everyone for the spam comment from "Shane," which I published earlier this morning. I was in a hurry, and though the comment sounded spammy I mistakenly thought that there was no live link in Shane's name so it would be NBD to publish the comment. I just got back to the computer and just now noticed the link, so I removed the comment.

And now back to our regularly scheduled arguing. :-)

Cosmic Connie said...

Thanks for your comment, Kindredone. While I don't think that all self-help gurus are criminals and belong in jail, the ones who have been convicted of crimes such as, say, negligent homicide, should, at the very least, not be given a chance to negligently kill anyone else.

Cosmic Connie said...

Anon Monday, July 18, 2011 10:16:00 AM: Ooo, that stings. Well, not really.

Nancy Grace thinks EVERYONE who has ever been charged with anything is criminally guilty. In this post I only expressed my opinion that James Ray is criminally guilty, based on the evidence I have seen and heard. Apparently a jury saw things the same way.

Besides, NG is blond and brash. I'm brunette most of the time, and really quite shy and retiring. :-)

Anonymous said...

Nancy Grace fashions herself a lawyer to, no?

slick willie said...

Anonymous, do you make a career out of being an asshole, or have you just adopted Cosmic Connie as a target for your stupidity? Or are you really James Ray?